Friday 26 August 2011

Response to comment + links

Response to comment. Thanks to all who’ve read this so far. My title is a little tongue in cheek and I’m not averse to all the music currently in the charts, it’s just that the majority follows a very uninteresting formula. I like some Ne-Yo, even Usher.

Yes maybe I'm a bit of a curmudgeon. I think it's because I have to listen to all this so-called 'dance' music at our exercise class and it makes me want to beat my head against the wall. The songs are actually unlistenable, just a few words and a sliver of a tune being repeatedly stomped into our brains. Our teacher thinks that if it got to no. 1 then we must all like it but even she is having to stop them halfway through and go on to the next one and she only cares about the number of beats. What I wouldn’t give to hear ‘Red Light Spells Danger’, with real soul, a sense of crescendo and atmosphere as well as a pretty memorable tune. Sometimes the only genuine song she plays is Michael Jackson’s ‘Man in the Mirror’ at the end. And it sounds fantastic I can tell you.

And the thing is the songs you’re talking about were one-hit wonders, they weren’t from people who were regularly getting into the charts. They were widely acknowledged to be rubbish. Yes, there’s always been bad music but it’s never been as successful before nor has there been so much of it with exactly the same content. I still think any generation deserves more than one tiny refrain in each song so I suppose you’re right, I don’t get it.

Here are a few links to music I do like:








No comments:

Post a Comment